Northwest University was founded by the Northwest Ministry Network of the Assemblies of God and opened to students on October 1, 1934. It is a regionally accredited, Christian coeducational institution awarding associate, baccalaureate, master's, and doctorate degrees. The University is operated under the control of the Alaska, Montana, Nevada, North Pacific Latin American, Northern California, Northwest, Oregon, Southern Idaho, and Wyoming districts of the Assemblies of God. Each district is represented on the University's Board of Directors. The campus is a semi-wooded tract of fifty-six acres overlooking Lake Washington and the city of Seattle. A view of the snow-clad Olympics graces the skyline to the west. Members of the Northwest University community desire the equality of opportunity and respect that results from true Christian community where unity is cherished in diversity and mutual support is practiced as evidence of God's presence, by His Holy Spirit, in the people that make up the community.